View Single Post
Old 02-20-16, 09:39 AM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Okay, Skybird, apologies for going with the fork there.

First of all, any smartphone has two radios. One is the cell phone network circuitry, working usually with a SIM card to give the phone an identity on that network.

Second, there is a wireless card for computer wireless networks. Each is totally independent. Most phones you can pull the SIM card, taking the device off the cellular network, but totally retain the ability to act as a mini-tablet on a computer wireless network. As a matter of fact I'm not aware of any cell phone that does not work that way. Some phones don't have SIM cards in the US, and there you just turn off the cellular network in the settings menu.

What you are left with is a mini-tablet Wi-fi Internet machine, just as you want. You can still download apps from the Google Play Store and everything just works as long as you have a wireless network to log into. You just can't make cellular calls.

I'm marooned over here in the uncivilized United States so I can't really help on the search for a suitable phone. The Motorola Moto G would be a good choice in the US.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote