View Single Post
Old 09-07-15, 07:43 AM   #3403
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
I just encountered a bug with the Conning Tower upgrades. I'm in a Type IXC and its May '43. I just got the conning tower upgrade but now nothing works. I try and use the telegraph and I get a "Cannot Comply" response. I've also lost spots on my deck gun, my large AA gun is gone and so is the radio and listening compartment along with spots in the conning tower and topside. My men are still their in my crew list but they aren't on duty and I can't select them. Any ideas how to fix this without purposefully scuttling my sub or starting a new campaign.
You are a victim of the "Turmumbau-desaster", the most annoying bug in OM: This workaround lets you go on with your campaign:

Conning towers and other upgrades
Both the Typ VII and the Typ IX U-Boat will receive conning tower upgrades as the game proceeds. Every time I was awarded a new "Turm", the result was a submarine that could not move forward, or backward. A "Cannot comply" message was displayed instead. The crew screen showed missing and empty slots. This bug has been experienced and described before, and -as lurker put it- it is a nasty one. So from my experience a conning tower upgrade means end of your career. This is not acceptable.

How can you continue? Well, there is a workaround: You have to create a dummy file.

1.) Open your saved games folder (SH4/data/cfg/SavedGames), locate the folder that contains the autosave_on_leaving_base-file using the file creation date and time and make a backup copy.

2.) Fire up SH4 and start a new career. Choose date, type of boat and flotilla to match the status of your career as close as possible. Start a new mission. Save the game.

3.) From the new folder (the one you just created in the saved games folder when you saved the dummy game) you will need the ActiveUserPlayerUnits-file. Copy it to the desktop and open the copied file using a text editor (i.e. wordpad)

4.) Open the ActiveUserPlayerUnits-file from the autosave_on_leaving_base-folder (Step 1) with your text editor

5.) In the AUPU-File from the dummy locate:

[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 1. CrewMemberSlot 1]

copy this line and the following lines till

[UserPlayerUnit 1.UnitPartSlot 1.UnitPart . UpgradePackSlot 1]

near the end of the document.

6.) Replace the lines (Step5) with the content of the clipboard in the AUPU-File from the autosave_on_leaving_base-folder. Save the file.

7.) Copy the manipulated file to the UPCINitial folder of the autosave_on_leaving_base-folder.

8.) Fire up SH4, choose "Load Game", open the autosave_on_leaving_base-File and play on. Your rank, medals, tons sunk and crew will be preserved and your boat will have the new conning tower.

Sounds complicated, but OM forces you to go through this again and again and practice makes perfect.
skidman is offline   Reply With Quote