View Single Post
Old 08-31-15, 03:38 PM   #64
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
That's exactly what I mean. The world today does not requires those two things. But a lot of people think they need them. Cable TV? Not everyone has that. Cell phones? Optional. People even buy water. Water!
Once upon a time you could say the same thing about standard TV, or radio, or even newspapers. I would say though, in todays interconnected world that cell phones are becoming more and more essential. Of course, there's essential and there's essential. Essential is food and water, and access to some form of healthcare, those sort of things, the bare basics. But things essential to being in society, those vary from generation to generation. Most businesses these days complain and struggle if they don't have a good internet access, fifty years ago they didn't have it so they didn't need it, now they do.
The fact, though, that water, such an essential thing for human survival, is something that is charged for by either shops or by the water companies...well, that's something that makes me shake my head.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote