Thread: Radar questions
View Single Post
Old 08-18-15, 06:14 PM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Okay, let's check the scorecard:

Your radar is on. What do you know? You know their exact position, course and speed, and you know exactly when that changes and what their NEW course and speed are. You have the complete keys to the city.

Now, what do they know? We'll assume they have radar detection gear and they detect you. "Shazzam! There's something out there somewhere running a radar set."

Now you tell me is it's worth it to run the radar if you think you're going to be detected. The answer is HELL yes. Run that puppy ragged.

The exact situation came up when Captain Joe Enright's Archerfish (the only US submarine whose name was changed by her crew, by the way!) saw this island moving on his radar. A bright crewmember suggested he turn the radar off and Enright made the same assessment as I just made.

But he was wrong. Detecting the radar, Admiral Abe of the Shinano concluded that anyone brazen enough to run radar must be part of a vast wolfpack of submarines, so instead of maintaining his invincible straight line speed where he was untouchable, Shinano started a zig pattern--right into the jaws of Archerfish. Radar being detected was the death of the largest target ever sank in WWII.

I'd say the score is advantage submarine and you should run the thing all the time.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote