Old 08-10-15, 05:54 PM   #1207
goodpoints
Watch

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Welcome aboard, goodpoints!

About damage, things like props and engines are modeled, though perhaps not to the level of detail we might desire. Torpedoes can blow off props, for instance. Engine rooms are modeled in the game, but I can't comment on the finer points. Stock may have more limitations in this area. I mostly play RFB.

I don't think the game models crew realistically, meaning you may have to blast the engine room to pieces, before stopping a ship, maiming/killing the crew may not do it. Not sure they are modeled at all, really.

The graphical effects you mention, holes and such, have nothing to do with the damage inflicted. Ships can be sunk without making any visible holes. It is purely eye-candy. Another factor to consider: AI target ships have some repair ability, but I have no idea how this works, or what limitations it has.

Machine-guns and light AA will have an effect, depending on the armor rating of the target and shell. However, you should keep in mind, that in real-life it could take hundreds of medium sized shells to sink a merchant. Don't expect too much from your deck armament.

In RFB, one generally must damage more than one compartment, so the target sinks by flooding. Sometimes this is a slow and tedious process.

Well that explains a lot. Silly me for assuming holes appear where there actually are holes. Is that not fixable? I haven't seen any mods that address it.

That was my main issue with the deck gun, I had thought I wasn't penetrating at all which would be a separate issue entirely than ships requiring a more accurate amount of shells to sink.

Playing with this new-found knowledge it still seems like AI engines are far too resilient. But this could tie in to the fact that crew in SH4 always go down with the ship rather than abandoning ship when there's serious flooding or fire as is the case in SH5+TWOS.

Thanks for the clarification
goodpoints is offline   Reply With Quote