View Single Post
Old 07-29-15, 10:28 AM   #86
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
When I last talked with Lurker, he gave approval in allowing his work to be used for a new modification, and to modify it as needed. One of the specifics I ran across with his ship routes is the many way points he added within a given route......each with a different speed parameter.

Well, this is great to give a target varying speeds while it travels along its route. Nothing wrong with following a target; making a firing solution based on the current facts; just to find your torpedo's run wide because of an unexpected change in target speed. However, some of the speeds between way points dropped below an issue that the stock game has regarding the subs sonar (when manually used) won't allow the target to be heard if the target speed drops below half it's rated MaxSpeed found in its .sim file. Your sonar man can hear the target, yet you won't when you operate the passive sonar (no matter how close you are to the target). I've run across some of RSRDC's ship speeds drop to .001 between way points!! Your sonar is going to sound "broken" when these speeds are encountered. The stock game pretty much has all merchant shipping traveling at about 9 knts. Since that's well above half the usual MaxSpeed parameters for the stock game, you'll never run into this sonar issue.
I haven't parsed all the traveling waypoints in RSRDC (I've put most of that on hold until I finished the relevant atolls/islands), but I did note a few places where such low speeds are necessary. A lot of the Guadalcanal shipping involves ships making supply runs where they do not stop for more than a few hours; it does not seem sensible to despawn the moving ships, spawn stationary ships for a few hours, then respawn moving ships. That said, when I get back to the shipping routes, I'll try to make sure they aren't dropping to slow-mo in the middle of the ocean