View Single Post
Old 07-24-15, 02:10 PM   #1
Topp1967
Watch

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0
Default Surfacing

Hi All
Have been a member of forum since 2007 and thought it was about time I surfaced and say hi and would like to give thanks to all of the modders who have made SH3/SH4 so good. I use GWX, SH3 Cmdr and on SH4 TMO and RSRD Mods, I did not bother posting anything as someone has either answered my question or had already said what I was thinking of posting.
I stopped playing silent hunter about 4 years ago for a variety of reasons that I wont bore you with, I spent the last 3 years playing War In The Pacific as Allies and needed a change of game. Coincidentally I started to read Clay Blairs books The Hunters/Hunted and realised it was time to take to the high seas in a sub again.
After starting anew from 39 and by end 41 having become tonnage leader and most decorated skipper in the Kreigsmarine (this is at 100% manual targeting etc except map updates) I felt instead of doing the 24hr patrol then heading for a choke point like the North West approaches I should try to be more realistic.
One Saturday morning I (accidentally) deleted the above career (I was very hungover) so I decided to start as a newly minted Lt in Jan 1942. I also opted to stay within my assigned grid square except when radio gave enemy convoys/TF’s or ships to reflect BDU directing things, this meant that realistically there was a possibility of running low on fuel before all ordnance had been expended. I also decided having read Mr Blair’s book to be a bit cagey as in only attacking from submerged at night – this worked. The other thing I did was to keep a hand written log of contacts and events.
I carried out 6 patrols to the North Atlantic between 5th Jan 41 and 7th Nov 43 and sank 29 ships for 163,232 tonnes (including USS Breton CVE (proud of that)) and was lauded with high decorations. As it stands now I tweaked things from Nov 43 to reflect 6months to work up (and renown to get) U3507 a Type XXI and am currently on my 7th war patrol having departed St Nazaire on 4th June 44.
Having benefit of hindsight and Clay Blairs book I am now very cautious - mounting submerged bearing only stand off attacks from convoy flanks, if you get a few hits and something actually sinks you are doing better than average by comparison to the reality of the Uboat campaign in 44 (I guess in 45 it gets worse!)
So what I am trying to say is that now I have changed the ethos of how I go about playing silent hunter I am getting considerable satisfaction from merely surviving let alone sinking anything and look forward to doing similar when I restart with TMO in the Pacific after VE day.
Good Hunting!
Regards DS
Stirling - Scotland

Last edited by Topp1967; 07-24-15 at 03:57 PM.
Topp1967 is offline   Reply With Quote