Thread: Windows 8.1
View Single Post
Old 06-02-15, 11:35 PM   #42
kenny11715
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default What display settings did you change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Hi working fine now had display settings wrong didn't know it all good works fine on windows 8.1.

Lt Cmdr Lare
Hi, just wondering what you changed with display settings (old; new). Was it simply a matter of changing the screen size/aspect ratio, or was it a more complex change? Were they SH4 Options Menu display settings, or settings in the Windows Control Panel?

For me, SH4 runs great in Windows 8.0, but after it auto-updated to Windows 8.1, SH4 crashes early and often in any 3D screen (that is, pretty much any screen except crew management or navigation), especially when fire is involved. I noticed in Device Manager that several of the display mode files had been rewritten during the 8.1 upgrade. No combination of anything yet on this thread resolved it (compatibility, read only, install location, etc), but my problem was fixed very nicely by reinstalling Windows 8.0. FWIW, the following link gives a solution for preventing the 8.0 to 8.1 automatic upgrade:
HTML Code:
http://www.askvg.com/how-to-stop-automatic-forced-upgrade-from-windows-8-to-windows-8-1/
just in case this may be helpful to others.

Maybe what you changed with your display would help my issue. As for the long run, I may opt to create a sandboxed Windows 7 virtual machine using VMware, that way I can get my workshop PC back up to the present without having older games break on some future auto update. It looks like SH4 runs a bit more reliably on Win7.

Thanks everybody for the many helpful thoughts.
kenny11715 is offline   Reply With Quote