Old 05-05-15, 03:32 PM   #1360
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisi078 View Post
Lusitania had only 3 smoking chimneys
Before "Lusitania" was lost, Cunard shut down some boilers to save coal for the war effort, so that might actually be true (for 1914 - 1915). This had the added effect of cutting "Lusitania's" top speed to 21 kts. Still faster than a U-Boat, but of course it made it easier for a sub to get a correct firing solution.

I haven't discovered any research telling me which funnels, if any, stopped venting due to the boiler shutdown. I will look into it.

The smoke by the way is customized, and highly visible - you will be able to see merchant ships from a great distance, before you even see any other details. I'm still tweaking it.

As for the "Olympic", "Titanic", & "Britannic", I checked one of the biggest Titanic research forums ... they said that a tiny bit of smoke actually did vent from the dummy funnel - I think that the kitchen exhaust on that class of ship was drafted out of Funnel #4. It's actually easy to add different funnel smoke to the same ship, thanks to S3ditor. Something for me to keep in mind on future projects....
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote