View Single Post
Old 04-11-15, 08:30 AM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

I don't have much experience playing or fighting Alfas, but the consensus is that they were always very noisy haha. At a top speed of 43 knots, your minimum safe distance from a 55 knot torpedo is 5.7 nm (formula: Torpedo's max range - (Torpedo's max range / Speed of Torpedo * Your max speed), round up a little for conservatism)

If you get engaged at that distance or beyond, the enemy torp won't be able to catch up. Now, this is for the crazy stock range of 26 nm for Mark 48s, so I'm assuming the mod you're playing has reduced ranges, so just short of coming right up and tapping someone on the shoulder, yeah, no one's torp is really going to catch you.

Your theory sounds pretty plausible, I'm just not sure if the Alfa's sensors are sensitive enough for you to pick someone up and then start running at them, launch weapons, and run away. I'd probably try some realllllly silent stalking (1-2 knots, or even stopped), wait for someone to come around and then launch on them and boogie. I'm not sure what the Alfa's capabilities are for torpedoes, but I feel like most of its loadout is meant as anti-surface since that's what they were designed for as interceptors.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote