View Single Post
Old 03-18-15, 02:58 AM   #84
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

After like 1-2 months of a break, I climbed back into the cockpit to test 'wings' with a buddy.
I used to love Elite. During alpha and beta, I was convinced that "this is it!". This will be the next great space game everybody will love and oh my look at the design forum archive, this is going to be fantastic!
Yeah... no. Sorry. Reading that archive now, makes me wanna cry and now I hope Star Citizen will turn out better.

Elite had so much potential, maybe it still has. But something is just...missing. A soul. The feeling that all of what is happening in this game is 'real'.
After you're not blinded anymore by the really nice visuals, audio and the many "aww!!" moments while discovering the galaxy, you realize the following that, to me, is a game breaker:

Everything.
You'll find the same ships, stations, 'random events', NPCs/their robotic, illogical and flat out stupid behavior as well as missions everywhere, no matter where you are going to be or who you are.
On top, the game has become overly gamey to please the upcoming target audience: Xbox players. Great.

Looks like Braben's "big vision" was money after all.
What a terribly bad call.

I apologize for the surely not so nice to read rant. It had to happen.