View Single Post
Old 02-22-15, 12:23 PM   #761
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Well, if you and I wanted to argue what caused what, I wouldn't mind because I think at the end of the day we would just go our separate ways no worse for wear. The issue I have is the arguement has gone too far in society as a whole. It has now infected the media, it has sadly become a political issue, very divisive in nature and only served to raise the cost of my water, and property taxes to pay for someones research. Still nobbody has a diffinitave answer and even if they did so what if someone proved what is causing the climate to get hot and cold. We have known pollution has been wreaking havoc for decades. Yet without batting a eye the same self depreciating whinners continue pumping crap into the ground water to make their flower beds look pretty.
Most things, alas, become a political football after a time, although sometimes it's better that some things are done than none at all. Certainly some bad things will occur as a result of it, and in regards to raising water costs and property taxes, alas that is part of the system we live in, where money is funnelled into all the wrong pockets, but that is a discussion outside of the remit of our current talk, and is, again, a political football.
Still, the thing is about research is that seven or eight times out of ten, eventually the benefits of it reaches public level. Perhaps one day when humanity gets its act together we can create an array of solar panels in non-habited areas which would power all the homes in the world and some more, although you can bet your bottom dollar that even with an abudence of power, they'd still find a way to charge you for it.
It's an interesting thing that a resource as basic and as necessary as water is something we have to pay for, but there you go, that's the treadmill we made for ourselves, and again, outside of the discussion of climate change.

Quote:
LOL ya you're right people just don't prepare for a lot of things these days. I've seen all sorts of homes and condos on the beachfront getting hammerd by hurricanes and errosion. Why it happens I think is because we have become dumber as the years go by. Not too long ago I was house hunting in areas that had a vast numbers of colonial era homes. I noticed something about the location of all those older homes. They were all built on the higest ground away from the rivers. All the modern homes were right smack on the banks of the rivers and bays. Vanity vanity all is vanity! heheh

But we move our cities away from the flood plains and beaches. Where are they going to go? Earthquake prone areas, mountain regions where they have avalanches and rockslides, desert region? Meh, we have to deal with the forces of nature anywhere we go, just gotta take it day by day I suppose
Even the Romans were smart enough not to build on or near marshland and swamps, somewhere along the line in our rush for affordable housing (which seems to be a goal we never seem to attain) we threw that common sense out of the window and now we pay the price for it.
There are safe-ish spots further inland from current city locations, yeah some areas are going to have earthquake problems, and I think we can probably adapt that that easier than we can rising water. Earthquake-proof buildings are available, just as hurricane proof buildings are, but unfortunately it's expense that stops their widespread adaptation. We are rather a short-sighted species in that we'd rather spend billions of currency when disaster strikes than prepare for it widespread in advance. That being said, some nations are pretty good at it, Japan for example is showing what can be done, but even they have the problem that old buildings aren't earthquake proof, something that the Kobé earthquake showed pretty clearly and forced the Japanese authorities to take extra steps to earthquake proof as much of their infrastrcture as they can. Still, mother nature will occasionally throw a real wrench into your plans that you simply can't expect, as Japan would find out 16 years later when the Tóhoku disaster happened. Nothing could have prepared Japan for that, the fourth strongest earthquake since records began in 1900.
We can adapt, as you say, although some things we will struggle with. It will be interesting to see how the worlds major cities deal with rising sea levels, whether they build bigger walls or leave parts of cities to be submerged and build new parts in the unflooded areas.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote