View Single Post
Old 02-20-15, 12:34 PM   #9
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
They strongly suggest that the Silent Service was short changed and sinkings were, in fact, significantly undercounted.
Yes, this is most interesting. The more I learn about it, the more it seems either the report and its methodology (or political aim) was flawed or every single sub Skipper's reporting methodology was flawed. It is difficult (for me) to see how it can be viewed any differently.

However negatively the Silent Service felt about the report - concerning criticism, they were unbelievably (to me) but perhaps unremarkably...well...silent.

Though I have noticed in the "Silent Service" TV series, RADM Dykers, the host/narrator, often uses figures in opposition to the JANAC report. He will usually preface with something like "According to my figures..." even though the JANAC report had been out for well over a decade by then. Perhaps collectively the WWII veterans chose to simply ignore the report.

As time marches on, matters such as these will become increasingly difficult to distinguish!
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote