View Single Post
Old 01-24-15, 01:24 AM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkQuinn View Post
One of the first things they said in the first video is that contrary to popular belief, subs weren't lone navies unto themselves (paraphrased), but that they actually operated in groups with supply subs and whatnot.
I think they are mixing two aspects of operations.

Yes, submarines were organized into squadrons, and divisions. These had supply ships and such assigned to them for their support/supply. Sometimes, they might have sailed together (sub tender with subs) to a forward base. For instance this was done with the S-class as they were short ranged, and might need fuel or spare parts en-route. I think this mainly happened before war broke out.

Operating in enemy waters was usually done alone, or as part of a small "wolf-pack". (Skippers seemed to have mixed feelings about the efficacy of this.) Once they left Midway, they were for all practical purposes on their own, until they returned.

None of this is a big realism killer, imo. The big difference between the game and real-life is that the RL skippers had to follow orders, or face serious consequences. They couldn't ignore a mission to go to Palau, and skip over to Luzon instead to look for some aircraft carriers, because that was more exciting. They had to adhere to timetables and schedules; they couldn't just prolong their patrol to pump up their score. Also, I think they were judged according to circumstances. For instance, sinking one ship out of three contacts, might be considered very good. Sinking two out of 15 contacts probably would not be seen as satisfactory, even though the game gives you more points.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote