View Single Post
Old 12-02-14, 01:45 AM   #29
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdFront View Post
I've heard Steam isn't reasonable when it comes to customer support, and that Origin's customer support is way better. In fact, I even heard one guy say he expressed interest in the Titanfall closed beta to an Origin employee, and that employee let him into it.
I used to be pretty "anti-steam", but now I prefer it. So you "heard" stuff a couple of times. I heard Mike Brown in Ferguson was attacked and then shot in the back by a racist cop. Guess what - that wasn't exactly true.... Nor has my experience with steam been anything like what you have "heard", and personal experience trumps rumor and hearsay any day. Origin does have good support - kind of. Its live and always available.... but often times can't fix the issue. The fact Dragon Age Inquisitor runs like crap on a 12 core monster with 48G of ram and a very good (not screaming) vid card shows that the publisher (Origin/Steam/Others) has limited ability to fix problems.

Quote:
Steam's sales are equaled or beat by Amazon and GamersGate.
Sometimes they are. Sometimes they are not. What has that got to do with anything? Sales are great - regardless of who has them.

Quote:
Hope you don't regret that like the Order of War: Challenge community is right now. Valve ripped the game wholesale from their libraries after that community tried to keep its multiplayer alive. The tech press covered it up, the story only broke because of Forbes, and even after it broke the tech press refused to report it, except for MaximumPC--3 months later.
Order of War can be purchased and played on Steam right now. The "Challenge" part (multiplayer "expansion" that required always on connection to Square Enix servers) of the game was removed because Square Enix (Not Steam/Valve) shut down the servers that allowed it to function. Steam did not control the servers, nor did they have any decision in the process of shutting them down. To blame Valve for the decisions of another company entirely - is just plain silly.

What should Valve have done - leave a known non-functional game in people's libraries? Oh - and the users that had the game - still had the game installed on their computers. Steam didn't "rip" the game files and data away. The game simply wouldn't work - due to Square Enix. All Steam did was make sure no one tried to run a game that everyone knew wouldn't work, then clog up Steam's support channels over something they had no ability to fix.

Read the ToS with Steam - you know they have the right to dump every game you have if they want. They won't because it will kill the business - but if the users are upset, they need to take it up with Square Enix, not Valve.

Captain Haplo

Last edited by Jimbuna; 12-02-14 at 09:55 AM.
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote