View Single Post
Old 10-04-14, 02:10 PM   #5
jojotcb10
Swabbie

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Ive gone over the game manual many times. I guess its because im so new to the sub sim games that reading the same sort of info multiple different ways helps me understand it better. I like to use the american subs as i read they are a lot easier. I have watched as many tutorial videos as i can but i guess i still had some questions. I sort of wish there was a step by step video out there of how to go one on one against a russian sub when you dont know what kind of russian sub it is and show exactly how to get in position to classify the contact. What ive encountered in some of the red storm missions was i was a sub and there would be no layer and sonor conditions are fine. I have everything on autocrew except sonar and the firing panel itself so i can adjust distance and depth of torpedo. I would pick up 2 lines of a contact somewhere to the north while i knew there were some russian subs up there. I would be going slow around 6 knots and head in the direction that it seemed the contact was heading to try and close on it. Lets say that contact was about 35000 yards away. Anyways i would close on that target and get shot at more often than not before i would get more than 2 lines. In fact i really never get more than 2 lines when it comes to a sub and i dont know if its a victor akula or what im going up against so i guess and typically fire blind. I cant quite figure out how to get another line. The few successes i have had i typically just guess victor or akula with high confidence and then watch until i have a firing solution with a small chance of error.
Thats another thing i have trouble with. I leave the whole firing solution part to autocrew because im trying to learn one step at a time and when i get a solution a lot of times it says theres a 20 percent chance of error or whatever it says. Then the contact kind of bounces around the map as that number will change. Its like the autocrew cant figure out exactly where the contact is. Sometimes i get lucky and it says zero for the error chance and i will usually hit but im not sure using autocrew the best way to lower that chance of error and get a good solution. Any tips on that? Ive read the manual, watched many vids, and they will tell me how far a weapon will go but what distance do people like to fire from? Ive just been trying to close to 30000 yards if its a real far contact, set the distance on torpedo right before that and hope to hit but the decoys will get my torpedo often. Id like to get closer but i always fear getting shot at. Is this long distance why i typically never see 3 lines? I just cant figure out how to get very close to a sub especially with no layer to pick up 3 lines.
I dont have any mods installed, i had recently bought the game off steam. Is there a mod that i should definitely add to the game? I read something about a mod that makes the contacts a bit more distinct so its easier to tell whats what. Does that mod work with the steam version of game?
I guess thats all my questions for now haha
In summary, how far do people like to shoot at subs from?
How do i get a better firing solution on autocrew?
Do i need a mod and does it work with the steam version?
Thank you for all the help so far. Your advice on here has helped a lot as have all the videos online. Im trying very hard to get an understanding of all this like you guys. Typically im a fast learner but i have been going through chemo therapy and countless other treatments for the last 5 years and im pretty sure they have rattled my brain as it definitely takes longer to pick up new concepts now. Thanks for being patient with me.
jojotcb10 is offline   Reply With Quote