View Single Post
Old 10-02-14, 05:44 AM   #2
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojotcb10 View Post
First using the narrowband sonar I believe (the one used to classify a contact using the frequencies) how do I find out more of the frequencies? Usually when I pick up a contact that I know is a sub I only see the first 2 frequencies and a 3rd never seems to show up. I usually guess its an akula or victor and send off a torpedo and will still hit a decent amount of time but I would like to know for sure what I am shooting at. Also using that sonor there are obviously the wavey lines that you can scan thru looking for contacts but then there is that one section that dips down and is completely flat for like 30 or 40 degrees. Is that a blind spot or something? I can never pick up any contacts in that area? Sometimes a sub is cruising along that I am tracking and he seems to go into that flat area and I cant really track him anymore. I hope my explanation makes sense. I just cant figure out what that flat area is and what to do if a contact goes into that area.
First question: if you can't pick more lines in narrowband it means you have to improve your acoustical conditions... I mean, it could be because the target is slow & quiet and/or you are too far from it and/or you and your target are on opposite side of the thermal layer (if present) and/or you and your target are on opposite side of an underwater ridge and/or you are too fast and your own noise mask the target noise and/or the ambient noise is too much... and so on.
It is difficult to give a precise answer because the variables are many.
But in general, in narrowband you will pick up lower frequencies sooner than the higher ones.

Second question: the "blind spot" that you mentioned are the "baffles" of that sensor array... For example, let's say you are on a sub platform heading due North (000°) if you consider the cilindrical/sphere passive array mounted on the bow, that sensor can't pick up signals coming from the 180° zone... this area is called the "baffles".

This is basic knowledge you can get by reading the manual shipped with the game. You can also find useful this "let's play" tutorials on youtube made by one of the subsimmers here in the forum:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...-p2qHIpRNOvpGQ

I highly reccomend it

Last edited by banryu79; 10-03-14 at 03:14 AM.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote