View Single Post
Old 08-31-14, 08:25 PM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default USS New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
this reminds me of Benjamin Franklin's advocating the use of pikes and bows in the Revolutionary War, supposing them to have worthwhile advantages. Of course, the Continental Army never adopted this suggestion; probably because they had more sense.
Quote:
Jimbuna: What vessels today have a gun the equal of a 16" or armour protection even approaching that of an Iowa class?

The Druze militia didn't appreciate this 'ol' pike' off Beruit which killed one of their generals; half the job of a BB is to be a "threat in being" such as Bismark and Tirpitz; tying up much of the enemy's attention and resources. As Von C. says: "whenever possible increase firepower"...these still fill the bill and inspire 'shock and awe'... ever a favorite American tactic! PHOTO: USS New Jersey off Lebanon 1984...Personally I'd like to resurrect The Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri and New Jersey, paint them Teddy Roosevelt white and send 'em to the South China Sea just to see which Chinese frigate captains are feelin' 'bully' on Sino expansionism; suitably cruise-missile equipped and a carrier group or two just over the horizon for an ambush as needed. A little old-school OOOMPH in the RIMPAC exercise IMHO Nothing Lord Nelson couldn't tackle! 4

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote