View Single Post
Old 08-13-14, 11:22 PM   #34
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I wouldn't knock the T-80 too badly, it might not have the bells and whistles of the Leopard II/M1A2/Challie II but it's still a very potent weapon (although I too, would take the NATO tank...I can't deny that). Likewise the later model T-72s and T-90, but I must admit I'm not a big fan of the auto-loaders (neither are the gunners arms, so I hear ). ERA though, the Russians have done good stuff with that, don't forget the nasty shock that NATO got when Germany unified and we started shooting SABOTs at an ERA T-72 and found that the M829 (I think) wasn't the magic bullet that we thought it was, as the ERA broke the SABOT up before it penetrated the hull.
Likewise, the MiG-29 with its ability to lock on targets 45 degrees off the aim-point, that gave NATO a scare too.
Sure, NATO troops made up in other areas, and still do, but I wouldn't automatically downgrade the potency of a single unit because of its nationality (unless it's North Korean), however I do agree that the numeracy advantage was a key factor in the Soviet strategy for a Cold war attack, that, and nuclear weapons...lots of nuclear weapons...

I can't help but like the T-72 though, perhaps it's because of all the times I've seen that familiar low, curved shape lumber over a hillside and come trundling towards my position.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote