Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
@ Skybird

"conquered from Ukrainian forces"

This was new to me

I have so far heard that they got this SAM-system from the Russian

Markus
The rebels have claimed they conquered "sophisticated SAM systems" during attacks of theirs earlier. Wikipedia says Russia has around 250 such systems, the Ukraine around 60.

On the IFF interrogator, there are half a dozen different technical systems of the SA-11, with developments from the early 60s to the mid-90s. Possible that some versions have that tech equipment, others not - I do not know.

Also, if it was fired from a system formerly owned by Ukraine, maybe the switched off IFF deliberately in order to not get locked out when targetting Ukrainian planes.

Another idea I have oin mind as well: the shot-down has been deliberately done by Ukrainian forces - so that pressure can be mounted against Russia and the separatists and turning global opinion agaiunst them. It would be the same tactics like Hamas currently uses once again in Gaza when tryin g to increase the number of killed Palestinian Arabs in Gaza. Saakashvili did the same in Georgia, ordering his missile artillery to bombard civilian appartment buildings at night, with sleeping civilians inside, and then accusing the Russians of having committed the warcrime and again demanding NATO to militarily intervene against Russia. So you think that scenario of the Ukrainians shooting down a plane with foreigners is unlikely? For politicians, nothing is unlikely, and similiar stuff already has happened before in the Ukraine, on the Maidan, with the snipers. Kiew-loyal snipers opened fire there, causing many deaths in short time. Later, separatists, even Russian special commandos were accused, with the hints and known radio com protocols speaking against that. - I don't say the plane got shot down this way - I only remind of that it is war, and war is the biggest party of all - anything goes.