Old 05-13-14, 09:05 PM   #5258
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
No.

There are 20 torpedo patches that have to be enabled in the GFP so you do need the patch in the FX22 update if you are going to use the FX22 main mod.
Hi Peter! From your terse response, I take it you aren't happy with me, so I'll be a bit verbose.

From TDW's FX thread as you had noted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
...- included 4 add-on mods for torpedoes. One of them is to be used if the Torpedo patches of my Generic Patcher is enabled.
Notice the "if" in that sentence.

With all due respect Peter, I have never seen it stipulated that all GFP patches have to be applied, nor have I seen it stipulated that the torpedo add-ons have to be used when using FXU 0022.

I have only seen directions related to his patcher in which if one applies certain patches in the patcher that have a notation directing the user to read the associated text file for further directions to apply one of his associated patches or edit one or more of the files, or that you can't apply a certain patch without applying its partner patch or vice versa, then it's a "must" if the user wants to apply that patch. Otherwise, no further action is required for any other patches activated if there's no direction to do so.

A couple of examples of patches that wouldn't make sense to be "musts":
- Damage_zone_debugging: Used for debugging for those who need it.
- Stadimeter_as_sextant: Not everyone uses their stadimeter, nor does everyone use Real Nav.

From TDWs patcher thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
PATCHES ARE NOT CUMULATIVE! YOU APPLY THE PATCHES YOU WANT ENABLED. i.e.: if you want patch 1 and patch 2 then you need to apply both patches
"You apply the patches you want enabled." That, IMO, means that these Generic Patcher patches are optional. We choose which patches we want to use, or even if we want to use the patcher itself for that matter.

The way I've always understood it is that "must" only applies to mods where it specifically says "this mod needs that mod (or patch, etc.) to work", either in the readme, in the mod thread, or empirically through the community. Even updates are not a must if someone wants to stay with their mod soup that is working wonderfully. Most mods out there are optional, especially eye-candy, graphics related mods. It's like the VIIA conning tower fix. I've lived without it for years, and it hasn't been a game breaker for me, so I can't see the need to tell people that they need to install it. Mind you, not having sober's spinning green thing would be a game breaker for me .. hehehe!

So if you can show me otherwise, I'll apologize for my misunderstanding and tip my Saints hat to you, Peter. It's just important to know that certain things can mislead people into unnecessary mod soup problems either immediately or down the road, and it's tough enough for us SH veterans to troubleshoot our CTDs (which I'm still working on), let alone for newbies who look to SH vets for guidance.

Cheers! - now come give me a hug!

(Trevally, sorry for the hijack! )