View Single Post
Old 04-28-14, 09:54 PM   #162
swamprat69er
Aceydeucy

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
I've only run through there once, carrying a big roll of toilet paper into Quebec. The roads weren't too bad at that time.
Three years ago I ran steady to Ottawa every other day. The days I didn't go to Ottawa I ran to Kingston. The ruts were brutal. Remember I got a trailer that you could legal 83,700 lbs in the tank and I only had 77,000 lbs at the most. Too much weight for just the three axles on the trailer and not enough weigh to really hold the extra axle on the road, but I had to have the extra one down to be legal axle weight wise. I got tossed around a bit, but i survived. Would I do that haul again? I don't know.

Coming back from Ottawa one day, and the 401 at Kingston is under construction. A New Jersey barrier is dividing the east bound from the west bound right at the Division St. curve. I am traveling West bound, empty and am about to roll across the bridge to the east of Division St. about 1/2 mile, all of a sudden there is a puff of dust in the East bound lanes at Division St. (there is also a rock cut on the south side of the road), and an enormous ball of flame, a passing truck had clipped the NJ barrier and his trailer went sideways and tapped the front of the truck he was passing and sent him into the rock cut.....One dead driver. He didn't have a chance. That closed the highway for 12 hours. Luckily I got past the scene before the cops and firefighters got there. (I had called them, but like I told the dispatcher, I was too far away to see any details other than the explosion.) The details I just gave were from going through there the next day and looking at the tracks and skid marks.
That was NOT a good day. Anybody (Red October) that wants to get into trucking needs to realise that they may see stuff like this as well as the 'fun' involved in trucking.

We the willing, led by the unsure, have done so much with so little, for so long, that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
swamprat69er is offline   Reply With Quote