View Single Post
Old 04-20-14, 06:24 AM   #3177
Frank2013
Nub

Downloads: 148
Uploads: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The above was taken from my NewUIs thread. It's better to reply to it here.

Currently you can't use the Sextant at any higher angles of elevation. I have been working on this for the past 3 days and have finally figured out a way to let you measure ANY angles of elevation with the Sextant

The way the Sextant is going to work will be changing here soon when I revise the Stadimeter as Sextant patch. What will be changing is you'll be able to pitch the sextant up much higher - all the way to 75 degrees. The patch will keep track of the camera's (Sextant) pitch angle and will add this value to any value you measure (using the Stadimeter as sextant). Confused?

Let's say you have a heavenly body at 68 degrees of elevation from the waterline. You place the sextant just below the heavenly body you want to measure. Let's say that angle is 60 degrees. You then press the Stadimeter button to activate the Sextant measuring. You place the second line on the heavenly body and press the left mouse button to record the measurement and it comes out to be 8 degrees. The navigator will take the base measurement (60 degrees from the waterline) and add it to the Sextant measurement (8 degrees) thus giving the true angle from the waterline (68 degrees)

Now theoretically you could just move the sextant right onto the heavenly body and read the measurement. The only problem with doing this is you lose precision. By pressing the stadimeter button you can press and hold Ctrl while moving the sextant to get better precision

If this still doesn't make sense then it will when you go to use the Sextant with the revised Stadimeter as Sextant patch.
That would be great.Thanks for your hard work!
Frank2013 is offline   Reply With Quote