Old 04-19-14, 11:26 AM   #3170
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
v1.0.163.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.163.0 added a new game file to the patcher: EnvSim.act. Added two new patches to EnvSim: wind speed allowed to be set to 0m/s and max allowable wind speed increased to 60m/s (stock game was 15m/s). NOTE: MissionEditor2 will only allow you to specify 15m/s for wind speed so you'll have to hand edit the file to attain > 15m/s wind speed
That's great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
I used the TDW bullet spark mission for a little test with 40m/s

It was no fun for all parties involved.

The speedboats did self-ignite very soon.

This sounds worser as it should be for campaign.

my guess is the'd never shown up in that conditions what sounds reasonable.

Before they would get in visual range they are should be destroyed by the waves.
Esp. in combination with the additional render distance patch. I set mine now to add. 80KM around my submarine, TDW even reportet that this runs fine on his crappy AMD system.
I expected it.

Several sea units will need their physics settings tweaked for them to handle the heavy waves brong in game by the new patch by TDW.

I could also set some new weather zones with wind ranges restricted to max 15 m/s or lesser, and use them for coastal waters, where patrol boats and small cargo vessels are more likely to occurr.

Moreover we can try to play with Waves amplitude and Waves attenuation parameters (Sim.cfg), and with FarWavesScale and FarWavesStrength parameters (SeaParameters.cfg) for avoiding that during storms ships spawning far away from player's sub sink before we could even spot them.

Last, I will have to adjust the current DynEnv weather zones, in order to allow wind speeds higher than 15 m/s in open seas (otherwise TDW's patch won't have any effect in campaign).

We should nonetheless consider that wind speeds in the 40-60 m/s range are extremely unlikely in reality. Going by the Beaufort scale, Hurricanes (i.e. Beaufrt 12, the top end of the scale) occur at wind speeds of 32.7 m/s or higher, with wave heights ≥ 14 m/s but if you look at the wave charts linked at post #2 of DynEnv's thread, the max averaged seasonal wind speeds hardly exceed 12 m/s, with a max standard deviation of about 5 m/s

Quote:
Further I'm using dynamic environment mod with the additional gap wave mechanics.

So my boat does not go much "under the waves" it "rides" them - what i like.

Don't now if this is stock game, stock Dyn. Env. or cause off the wave mechanics addon - i like it how it is.
Dynamic Environment's wave settings might need for some adjustements. I am especially concerned about realistic wave heights, lengths and speed. Wave heights at various wind speeds can be deduced directly from the Beaufort scale, whereas wave lengths and speeds can be calculated from wind speeds, using some well known formulas.

Other than that, DynEnv has little to do with the way AI/playable units ride waves: other parameters which are not affected by DynEnv (i.e. units' drag, mass, center of mass, etc.) come into consideration.

Quote:
How to make the wind that strong in camapign?
I think I have already answered your question, at least in part, when I discussed weather zones (each got its own wind speed range, varying depending on season).

There is one last aspect that I have not fully clear though: SeaParameters.cfg contains the wave settings for several wind speeds. The game interpolates automatically the settings of two contiguous wind speeds set in the cfg file, when a given wind speed comprised between the two above is not present in the said file.

Indeed, the stock SeaParameters.cfg and the versions of the same file included in Dynamic Environment (in form of different 'Wave Mechanics' submods), have 15 m/s as maximum set wind speed. That is okay for stock game, as 15 m/s is the maximum attainable wind speed anyway.

What I ignore is how the game can handle the new speeds achieved with the patch by TDW, since in the currently available cfg files there are no top end settings that can be interpolated for speeds higher than 15 m/s. In any case, I think we should create a new SeaParameters.cfg with wave settings going from 0 to 60 m/s, in steps of 5 or 10 m/s, so to be sure that the game applies the desired settings.

Last edited by gap; 04-19-14 at 11:38 AM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote