View Single Post
Old 04-09-14, 12:45 PM   #69
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

TDW you seem to be the only person here who has the ability and energy to unravel the mysteries of SH5.exe. I am not suprised that many of the old stuff is still there, if it can be made to work even it could be very fortunate. Really looking forward what you and others can do with the game.

It does not surprise me though that you find large portions of hidden, disabled code. They must have decided that with Silent Hunter 5 the engine needs to be completely upgraded. One reason would be that UBI wanted to have the AssCreed graphics engine in their newer product. Another will have been that many new programmers were bitterly complaining that the older stuff was not always working and that they were losing countless hours trying to figure out what would work - similar to our experiences with SH4.

So they would make tabula rasa, and put everything on a new, much improved foundation. Unfortunately the same old casualness set in quickly (management issues?), and some people refactored stuff from Silent Hunter IV, which was often stuff that had already been refactored from Silent Hunter III. At the same time fundamental changes must have happened inside of UBI that forced them to finish the game at a point where they were barely halfway on the move to the new engine. For I don't think I have seen many games that were out of the box so badly configured as Silent Hunter V.

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote