View Single Post
Old 11-07-13, 03:24 PM   #620
nataraj
Watch

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0
Default Noob Questions

Hello all, Ahoy !

Got the game a few days ago and got most problems sorted out during Naval Academy and my first two career missions. Seems I finally found the place to ask what still baffles me .. so here goes, and I appreciate any and all hints tips or even RTFMs - if you'd be so kind as to tell me which section as the GWX manual is 600pp+ (Ah, yes I am running downloaded SH3 with GWX 3.0 "Gold" installed)

1.Deck Gun: found out the hard way that after "Man Deck Gun" my sailors started happily shooting at a neutral (Swedish)passenger ship. Hm, I had seen the ship runnig all lights and guessed it was neutral. Surfaced only to verify that what I saw in the periscope was indeed a Swedish flag ... I was assuming that "Open Fire" would be a necessary command (and I DID tell them to hold fire after downing my previous victim) How do I assure battle readiness and still be able to decide when shooting starts?

2.Fuel: In Wilhelmshaven, I was assigned grid BF16 and went there going around Scotland and north of Ireland. When it was time to return, I realized I had only 1/3 fuel left so my only option was to return via the Channel. Hm not good as it was already Sept.7 1939. Is it normal to be sent on patrols that are kind of suicidal in the end?

3.Conflicting orders: On that same patrol I receive two radio messages on Sept 8 (while returning and already entering the Channel): "U-47 Return to Kiel" But my mission objective still says: Return to Wilhelmshaven and I am not sure I can make it to Kiel on the fuel I still have. Second message: "Between Faroes and Shetlands: U-47 North third." and in same message: "Between Sehetland and Norway: East third U-47" ... WTF? are these more of those "immersion" messages or am I supposed to follow some kind of orders here?

4.Passenger Ships: that 8.000 GRT Swedish Passenger ship sure looked like a juicy target. We have "strict orders" (do we really, or was that just for the press?) not to shoot neutral or passenger ships, but isn't that going to change during the course of the war? And what about "hostile" passenger ships? It was bad enough to see a ship with couple hundred (couple thousand?) people on board go down, but that was kind of an accident. As much as I like SH3, I guess I would not want to play this simulation if "success" hinges on giving the order to kill a few thousand civilians just for a few "renown" points. How do you seasoned SH3 players view this issue? Especially since taking on warships instead does not seem to be a viable option (again, one order received: "do NOT engage warships ...").

As you can see, I'm very new to this game, please bear with me
Thanks for still keeping this site active so many years after launch of SH3!

Helmut

_______

edit Nov 8, 1840 UTC: Question 4 has already been discussed on this forum, I found the thread here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=185709

Last edited by nataraj; 11-08-13 at 01:43 PM.
nataraj is offline   Reply With Quote