View Single Post
Old 09-30-13, 09:26 AM   #223
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Gap what do you think, could sometnig like this work for diesel/electric engines?
Dunno, by personal experience, beyond a certain level of damage an engine would stop working all the way, rather than loosing power gradually. I would therefore set efficency reduction of Damage Descriptions from 6 to 10, to 1 (similar to what Rongel did for his "longer repair times").

I have also noticed that you have set repair skill of some damage descriptions to 2, probably for simulating random unreparable damages. The idea is nice, but it contains a paradox: after getting a percent of damage whose reapair skill is set to 2 (let's say DamageDescription4, from 30 to 40%), engines would become unreparable. Nonetheless, any potential further damage could make them to "jump" to the next damage description and, provided that boat crew got the required skill level (0.5 in our example, according to your settings), it is likely that their reapair would start again. Moreover, I would expect an unreparable damage to be more often a fatal than a minor damage (i.e. higher effecincency reduction) and to be associated with higher percents of HP depletion. For all of the above reasons, I would keep your setting for one of the last damage descriptions.

Last, repair times. Imo, even in a cramped space as the interior of an u-boat, a good mechanician should be able to fix a minor damage in few hours. Moreover, I can't imagine a repair to last for more than 2-3 days of continuous work, at worst. After that time I would assume that either the suffered damage is unreparable, or its fix requires a missing spare. Unfortunately we don't have spare part deliveries in game. At least not yet: you never know what TDW can excogitate when he is inspired

Quote:
And what's with red values (MaxMaintenance). I noticed that in SH4/RFB/OM files those values are 0, most of the time ,while in SH5 they are set to 1...What does that mean?
Not really sure about it... the quantity of functionality and/or HP's that can be restored after repairs (not used in SH4), maybe?

Quote:
Also, this entry fuse blown, does this define anything or is it just some randome mesage, can i enter anything in this area, like "happy hew year" or something?
I think so. Devs had to plan a damage description to be displayed in game, but I never saw one. It that was true, that entry would just be the leftover of an SH4 or unfinished feature

P.S: have you read my previous message? Today I am busy with the redaction of a project, but tomorrow I will work on the new GHG hydrophone with 3d meshes.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote