View Single Post
Old 09-26-13, 03:44 AM   #17
biosthetique
Lieutenant

Downloads: 652
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunburn View Post
BTW If I am wrong and this capability is described anywhere out there (outside the SSN game), please do correct me. I would be interested in learning more about it. Thanks!
LOL!...That is cute!...SSN does not explain you how to do that, it is not in the SSN manual. The physics of that "low-fidelity sim bordering on arcade" allows you to do it as the physics of DW would allow you to do it if the Detonate option was offered. Clancy was not a US Government contractor, but Sonalyst is.

It is advanced defensive tactic!...It is not basic evasive maneuvers medium range dump a noise maker and turn 90 degrees to exit the torpedo cone of vision, and force it to reacquire you.

Now, if you doubt the physics of a torpedo exploding, creating a shock wave within 200 yards of an incoming torpedo, which shock wave explodes the incoming torpedo, then it is ok.

The exploding torpedo is still wired, active and also guided by the sonar system of the sub launcher, as the torpedo alone can not do it. It will get you close, but it is not as accurate as to collide with incoming torpedo. It needs the help of the Sub launcher sonar to place it in the course of the incoming torpedo, and when within xxx yards, kaboum!

Jane's won't tell you how to use a weapon, it is not a field manual, but it will tell you the capabilities of a weapon system, and if it can be destroyed at will while still wired. Remember, torpedoes explode anyway when they run out of gas and the wire long gone, to protect the technology.

Now if you don't believe it because it defies your perceptions or for any other reasons, it is ok. Moreover, I don't think that anyone in their right mind would deliberately prove your point or sustain my description, by producing a page of a manual explaining how things get done in a combat environment.

And I am done talking about that, as right or wrong, accurate or not, what I know does not define me, and I'd rather be experiencing some games/sims/"low-fidelity sim bordering on arcade" (real classy), than talking about them.

Your game is good and there is many room available for improvements!

BTW, don't take yourself too seriously, Tom Clancy was not abducted for illustrating "Command detonate" in Tom Clancy SSN, and he certainly knows more about Submarines weapon systems than you and I together.

Now throw me another one, so you will have the last word
biosthetique is offline   Reply With Quote