View Single Post
Old 09-10-13, 09:05 AM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I've been working on the very thing you've questioned.....the merchant ship spawning percentages, and the time between having the game choosing when to "roll the dice" for spawning a particular merchant(s) ship route, or not. Both are very different than stock......with the chances much less likely to happen. It's my opinion, the spawning percentage rates, and time between spawning possibility, should be somewhere in-between what RSRDC uses and the stock game.

Lurker, has some merchant routes spawning only about 15% of the time the game asks for the dice roll (the time the game spawns the route ,or not).

The time between the spawn chance is sometimes many fold (sometimes 5 to 10x longer between spawning chances over stock).This has us finding merchant shipping being very scarce. What we do find becomes very predictable....because those few shipping route's become the only route's we find.

The same is true of RSRDC's Contact Report chances. The stock game set the "Report" chances at 50% for each spawn. RSRDC has most set well below 10%.....sometimes at 2 or 3% of a chance for giving a report. On those that are reported, Lurker made sure the area of the report is far from accurate. So, its just as well not to rely on the report at all. There's nothing wrong with that....but it is good to know.

What's got me looking at RSRDC's campaign files for the merchants, is the finding that any merchant ship travelling at below half its maximum rated speed, will not allow the manual sonar "hearing" of that ship when you go to the station yourself. Lurker made ships vary their speeds between waypoints (as they would in real life) with different speed settings for each leg between waypoints (the stock game keeps the speed constant at 9 knots). The problem is, if a ship rated at 18 knots maximum speed drops below 9 knots between two particular waypoints......you won't hear the ship with manual sonar use. Many of RSRDC's merchant speeds drop to seven and eight knots....some even go lower.

I like what Lurker as done with his campaign files for the Task Forces, but the merchants are another story.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote