View Single Post
Old 02-26-06, 07:53 AM   #9
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuftWolf
I can tell you that I am very much looking forward to playing your scenarios SQ.

BTW, when you say that the mission will take a week, is that with the detection ranges in the stock 1.03 DB? :hmm:

Also, have you tried LWAMI?
That's stock 1.03, and there's some assumptions built into that number. Basically, I just used the Koopman formula for random search and noted that almost all of the games will result in detecting at least one of the targets after a week, assuming a 5kt search speed and a 5.25NM passive sonar range. Unless you're actively trying to avoid finding your target, it's very hard to do worse than random search, so consider that a conservative estimate. Most likely you'll do better than that. There's some things I'm playing with right now that might lead me to believe that it's a little too conservative an estimate too. I dunno...

If you increase your speed, you'll decrease your sonar range, but might increase your search rate blah blah blah... the usual compromises. It's up to you to figure out what the best one is. It's a long search puzzle, and it should be hard no matter what.

So... that's what I say when the game can go as long as a week. I have played it a couple times and had it last a few minutes too. It all depends on whether you're lucky or whether you're miserably unlucky as to whether you're stuck in grindingly long scenario. I also suspect that if you played it MP, the scenario would last on the short side because it seems like humans like to go faster when searching is difficult. I guess it makes them think they're necessarily covering more ground. Clearly it's a psychological thing, though. :-) Therefore, one would expect them to be more detectable.

I still haven't tried LWAMI.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote