View Single Post
Old 07-13-13, 05:57 PM   #408
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
Naah, I'm just wary about "movie" remakes in general.
Same here. Many years ago I saw that there was a remake of High Noon. I love Tom Skerritt, but I just couldn't bring myself to watch it, even for free..

Quote:
I can't recall one remake that I ever liked.
There was a TV remake of Vanishing Point. It was one of Claude Akins' last roles. It gave the world Viggo Mortensen. It had a plot, which the original with Barry Newman didn't. That ruined it. The lack of plot was what made the original great.

Then there was a remake of Gone in 60 Seconds. As soon as I read the plot I knew I would hate it, so I didn't bother. The whole plot of the original was to destroy as many cars as possible in 90 minutes. Homemade, bad acting, minimal plot line, no explosions at all. Just a 45-minute chase, put on by a car guy. The remake had to be a better movie in every respect, but it lost the cheesy charm that made the original a true classic. I bought the original on disc and was shocked and disappointed. Another of the hallmarks of the movie was the awful home-grown country soundtrack. The DVD has it replaced with a very nice jazz score, which pretty much ruins a major part of the flick. Oh well.