View Single Post
Old 02-21-06, 06:33 PM   #5
CBDR
Watch

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

GlowwormGuy,

If you are interested in coastal defense batteries, then I recommend the following two books:

1. Osprey's Defenses of Pearl Harbor and Oahu 1907-1950 (Fortress series #8). Oahu was one heavily fortified island! Just about every type of gun was used in the defenses, including 16" guns emplaced at Fort Weaver, adjacent to the Navy housing area my family lived at from 1971-1975. Little did I know that the underground bunkers I attended Boy Scout meetings at were the old magazines and command posts! The Army even built emplacements for the two aft turrets salvaged from USS Arizona, although they did not become operational until after the war ended. I am very confident that any surface vessel approaching within 15-20 miles of Oahu would have received a very hot welcome...

2. Defenses of Naragansett Bay in World War II, by Walter K. Schroder (Minuteman Press, 1980). This was a local interest book I picked up while stationed at Newport RI, so it might not be available. This was another very heavily fortified area, with guns up to 16" in size (Batteries Hamilton and Gray). These batteries were fully casemated and could reach out over 22 miles!

Too bad DC isn't flexible enough to allow the player to take on the role of a shore battery - another lost opportunity.