View Single Post
Old 07-03-13, 11:44 AM   #858
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358
Uploads: 0

Yes i agree re the ACs they were noble and lovely ships most of them, but sadly they were obselete and dangerously so by the start of WWI as the loss of the three to the German U Boat and then the losses later on. ..on both sides. I think it was hard for the Fleets to give up on some of the older ships and there were old style BBs on both sides at Jutland that should not have been there either.

the decisive fleet action actually was not possible i think by the time the war came because of the limits of Command and Control, radio was still in its infancy and iffy, flag and signal light and semaphore which were heavily relied up on were heavily impeded by funnel smoke which grew immensly in any area of intense fleet action, and the air services on both sides were not able to communicate with the flag ships well enough to really help. In some ways the investment in Captial ships became unaffordable in a number of ways, esp if you look at the HMS Agincourt and some of the most outlandish ships that had as many turrents on one ship as a small fleet yet having a single hull made them so vulnerable. It will be interesting indeed to see what we can do with your mod once it is done and working.

Here are some pics of fleet action for reference...from my collection...