View Single Post
Old 06-17-13, 11:34 AM   #148
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

I think the ease of CGI actually hinders creativity and causes films to loose depth.Now a movie like the up coming "Pacific Rim" will likely have a lot of CGI but it is a throw back to Godzilla movies which are about some monsters fighting each other.The problem is that many movies use all CGI but have no "soul" when they need soul for example "Avatar" that movie was just a bunch of CGI.

"Enemy at the Gates" is one of my least favorite war films because it is loaded with inaccuracies for starters Vasily Zatsev did not have a pampered pretty boy face like Jude Law he had a very square jaw and was not a particularity handsome man in any way.He never had a sniper girlfriend there was a female sniper mentioned in the book "Enemy at the Gates" but it has be so long since I read that book I do not recall her name but I do recall that she had nothing to do with Zatsev.The female sniper played by Rachael Wiess is most likely loosely based on Roza Shanina(54 kills a believable number given her time in combat 44-45) and Lyudmila Pavlichenko (who had 309 confirmed kills most likely exaggerated by Soviet propaganda as where Zatsev's). There also was no "Major Konig".

Sorry it just irritates me when movies make the based on true story or that claim to be historically accurate when they are far from it.Only "Band of Brothers" can make such a claim and be honest and they did add some things here and there to that for dramatic effect."The Pacific" was probably around 70% accurate with a bit more story added to it."Enemy at the Gates" is about 15% accurate being generous.

Based on a true story is a gimmick to get people interested in certain types of films.Not to say that some films using this claim are all poor films but many are using a truck load of creative license and not telling you so unless you know the actual facts you do not know that you are being lied to and walk away believing something that is not in fact true.That for me is a problem because most people do not take the time to actually learn the true story and walk away believing a lie.

Last edited by Stealhead; 06-17-13 at 12:10 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote