Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeeM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeeM
I personaly thought it was the worst book I ever have read. I am 80% through it and I find it hard to bring myself to finish it. And that started at the 40% book mark. I dont belive that book was done by TC himself.
You may right SKeeM. However, I wasn't looking for a literary critique, just an accuracy critique.
You think picking up subs from 60K yards away and getting class, range and blade count without any effort is accurate? Or hearing a helo launch from a ship 20K yards away wile being at 400 FT is? Sorry man but that book must have been written by a Army supply Sargent. Realing in the TA before an attack for fear of losing it wile running away? Or Picking up a Kilo at 2500K yards running at 5 knots?
EASY there big fella! Let's cover a few points. 1) I haven't finished the book yet so I am not operating with "complete" knowledge. 2) I am not a real bubblehead so I can't even begin to say whether or not any of the points you make have merit. 3) I certainly didn't post this to get into a debate with anyone and your "tone" seems slightly condescending. I'll assume that's unintended.

I have heard from real Submariners (and some research) that in a convergence zone (I think that's the right one) sonar contacts are possible over GREAT distances. Regarding the TA and reeling it in prior to an attack. I've also heard/read that this too is RL. My understanding is that those things are VERY expensive and sub skippers don't like to jeopardize them unneccesarily. Seems to me to be the logical thing to do prior to battle once you've established Master contacts. If one is anticipating having to do "angles and dangles" at high speed the last thing a sub skipper would want to worry about (above losing the TA) is having it foul the screw during high speed evasion. Then you'd REALLY be screwed. :rotfl: On picking up a Kilo at 25Kyds (if that's what you meant) at 5 knots and the helo thing you mention, I have to agree with you, that seems a little far fetched but I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet. The only thing about a helo I've read so far had to do with them picking one up that was hovering in Cheyenne's vicinity and wanting to take out the frigate before the helo could rearm and launch again. As I said earlier, I'm no real submariner which is why I came here to ask the question(s). If you are a real submariner I certainly defer to your wisdom and appreciate the feedback you've given me. Any one else who can lend a hand in this discussion please, jump right in!