View Single Post
Old 03-22-13, 07:19 PM   #1547
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465
Uploads: 0

The Steam approach, like so much "Cloud-based software" these days, is to lease you the capabilities of their software, not the software itself. You do not own a copy of the code and they retain not only the rights, but the executable. Because you do not own the software, you have to use what they have agreed to supply, not what you might want. If you lease a car, you can not have the motor ported, bung out the cylinders, and hang on an aftermarket blower. That pretty much voids the lease. You have to return the car as stock as you got it, because it never was your car. There are advantages and disadvantages to this approach. You have just discovered one of the big disadvantages.

I really agree with gap. Spring for a stock copy of the game. It's not a lot of cash and you apparently can afford it since you offered to buy one for TDW. Then you can do whatever you want to your own game. But you are limited in what you can do as long as you remain in the Steam ecosystem.

BTW, I would be concerned that there is a risk of running afoul of the Steam DRM system if you try to modify their executable code. They may feel that is prima-facie evidence of intent to pirate their code and shut down your entire Steam account. There are anecdotes to that effect on the SH4 forum and other places. And, again anecdotally, I understand that there is not much of an appeals process. YMMV.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote