View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 08:44 PM   #746
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
Yes, I think you're probably right that the M42 didn't score any hits. I was trying to pay careful attention to the 37mm tracers and did not notice any impacts, but my testing was not thorough enough to state this with certainty.
I suspect that 37mm gun's laying/elevation speed need to be raised a bit, nonetheless can you please give a "fire at long range" order, the next time you test our settings?

Quote:
Is changing elevation/training speed the only way to effectively control accuracy?
currently, yes.
In past, I and Volodya have been testing tolerance fator's effect, but without significant success. There are two of them, one for elevation and one for traverse. According to this old post in SHIII subforum, tolerance factors should be sort of maximum gyrostabilization angles: the bigger their value, the more stabilized the gun, the more accurate its aim.

Quote:
You mentioned in your PM that there is a chance recoil_dist might affect accuracy. For flak guns, do you think this refers to the distance the bolt travels after firing one round and before another is chambered?
I think so, and it should work the same way for cannons (except for the reloading mechanism, which indeed is not automatic). But I haven't ever messed with that setting; all I know about it, is what I (or anyone else for that matter) can deduce from its name. Its effect on gun accuracy is only my (vague) supposition.

Quote:
I found this recoil distance for the C/30, as cited by our old friend Mirsolaw Skwiot:

average recoil distance: 33mm
max. recoil distance: 44mm

These numbers seem quite small so I really don't know what to make of them. I have unfortunately not been able to find information for the other guns yet.
The stock recoil distance setting for 20mm guns is 10 cm. I will make a test with the numbers provided by you, and see if anything changes. Anyhow, if you find other statistics regarding gun recoil distances, please post them here.

Quote:
The guns were set to fire at medium range for all tests. I agree that the M42 should have a range advantage over the 20mm guns. However, I have a suspicion that our SK C/30 range settings might be too high...
Why do you think so?

These are the theoretical ranges, according to the sources I have consulted (including the information provided by you):

navweaps: 8,500 m @ 45 deg
wikipedia: 8,500 m @ 37.5°
navypedia: 8,500 m
your document: 8,500m @ 35.7°

They all agree on 8,500 m, despite some discrepancies on the elevation angle required for attaining the aforementioned range. Also notice that this is not the AA ceiling range, which was way shorter, nor the effective range in AA firing, that was even shorter. SH5 gun controllers allow just one setting, which is the maximum theoretical range. I ignore how accurately the game deduces the ceiling range from the latter, but in any case, there is a setting for limiting FlaK guns long, medium and close firing ranges. IIRC, the stock maximum range setting is 2,000 m, which is pretty close to the historical 37mm FlaK's maximum effective range

Quote:
It's an interesting dilemma. Do you an objective standard by which you are planning to measure the success of our testing? That is, how will we determine whether our guns are too accurate or not accurate enough?
During our past tests, I an Volodya were comparing different results by reporting the numebr of rounds required to shoot down a plane, or the number of dive attacks the plane had performed before being downed. This was using the same test mission with the same weather/crew veterancy settings.

Quote:
You might want to double-check my report before starting collecting sound clips in earnest, as I have been known to be wrong In any case, the 37mm is far too quiet, as this youtube clip of the SK C/30 indicates:

yes, I had seen that video before. Unfortunately I could not capture its audio due to the musical comment on the background (never before I had thought that I could have hated Mozart ), but IIRC I had also managed to find another video whose audio is "cleaner".

Quote:
Notice also how slowly the gun seems to track around 0:41

Quote:
I certainly haven't. I'm was also using the Reworked Abilities mod and the Equipment mod for the tests, in case they affect these parameters.
good choice. EUF was anyway required, as I have included the settings for testing the M42 twin FlaK in our testing version of the mod, and the files I had modified were from TheBeast's mod. I was going to inform you on it, but at the last moment I have forgot to do it.

Answering to your question, yes both the mods mentioned by you contain the settings I was talking about in my previous post. I think we should try and play with them with the aim to reduce FlaK's accuracy and to reduced the excessive difference in reload times among trained and untrained crews (your estimated times seem to me abit excessive even for a rookie).
gap is offline   Reply With Quote