View Single Post
Old 03-12-13, 12:50 PM   #523
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I've heard good things about their missions, but the producers have some...'interesting' ideas of history, here's an alleged extract from their campaign briefings:

Quote:
Churchill himself said it very clearly in the summer 1940:
Those who think, we fight this war to fight nazism, are naive. Our intention is to smash germanys economic power.

Wars are never fought for altruistic motives. They always have a egoistic intent. The aim is power and territories, never the people.

None of the nations fighting in WWII is innocent. Not even the victors.

And so was the "Battle of Britain" also not what it was stylized for. For Great Britain it wasn't the fight to survive, and for Germany it wasn't the fight for the invasion of England.
Churchill wanted to fight this war for his own personal power to the bitter end, at all costs. And it did cost! It did cost Great-Britain it's empire. He stood as loosing victor, who did gain his primary war goal, the destruction of Germany, but ruined the homeland entrusted to him. Great-Britain never recovered from this ruin.
In 1939 it was possible to start the war, but not to stop it. He only could take the bull by its horns, in a conflict, lost before it started. And the same was with the Battle of Britain. Continious changing aims of the battle, no strategic concept and a Luftwaffe not suited for this kind of war were the largest obstacles. But the truly biggest obstacle was, that there was no plan for the continuation of the war. So this battle was a improvisation, which was by propagandistic means blown up to a possible decisive battle.
The battle was decided, as soviet troops at 28.06.1940 invaded Romania and occupied large parts of it. From this day on the german high command knew, that the direction of the war would change, if they wanted to survive. Since without the romanian oil the war against England couldn't be fought also. 150 km divided from this day on G.K. Schukow from the decision in favour of the Soviet-union. But he overlooked the chance.
The german chief of staff Franz Halder, as Hitler himself, saw the danger and acted. All planning for a possible invasion of England were waste paper and obsolete with that.

Concluding it is to ascertain, that for England in 1940 was no danger of a invasion. Churchill wanted to get the USA into his boat, and that he did get. Because the USA supported Great-Britain after the Battle of Britain with enormous quantities of weapons wares, planes and ships.
And from the manual:

Quote:
The one side [Germany] was lacking the means and the will for victory, the other side [Britain] the good sense for peace. This may sound cynical, but peace would have been possible. And in this case, the decision was not Hitler's. In 1939 Hitler possessed the ability to begin the war. But in 1940 he did not possess the ability to end it. Churchill did!
And apparently the author posts on certain forums that also have interesting historical viewpoints, as a simhq member put it:

Quote:
I am German myself. The moment I heard there would be an add-on for COD I wanted to buy it. So I did some research. I found out that Thomas Voss posts on a website, which is called “political incorrect”. There they promote “free Speech”, which means uttering right wing rhetorics. For example he says that Germany needed to attack the Soviet Union because they prepared for the attack themselves which is laughable. They only want to find ways to excuse the deeds of Nazi Germany. He also promotes the opposition against immigration and if you read his posts you realize quickly that he is opposed to the current democratic System of Germany. Also other members of desastersoft promote Anti-Americanism which is quite common in the far right circles.
(All from: http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3399135/10)

But, politics aside, I have heard good things about the missions themselves, so there is that.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote