View Single Post
Old 02-22-13, 07:46 AM   #10
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
I stumbled upon a really interesting read on the T-34. Interesting in my eyes since i've always been fascinated with Tanks. Moreso in WW2, where these armored beasts took the stage with ferocious and deadly intent, other times with merely a whimper, no sooner rolling onto the battlefield than being reduced to scrap metal with one swoop of a well-organised Bomber group.
Anyway, what follows is a very-well written story of the Russian T-34, and later the T34/85, it's inception, from design to battlefield performance, production numbers and perhaps dispelling some common myths of this infamous Tank.
If you're into tanks like me, then this is worth a read:

http://operationbarbarossa.net/Myth-...hBusters2.html
A very interesting analysis with many good points, but a bit incomplete b/c it seems to without explanation ignore one factor - the simple fact the Germans were mostly on the defensive in the last phase of the war. Even with excellent observation devices, a well camouflaged gun or tank in the defense still has a huge visibility advantage over a moving tank, and that alone would easily account for a couple of tanks being plucked before a battle even starts.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote