Thread: Convoy decision
View Single Post
Old 02-04-13, 02:00 PM   #11
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

I can't agree with the cowardly bit in the sense that a U-boatman's life was extremely risky. One could argue that U-boats hit defenseless or helpless targets. That's warfare. Basically all of warfare tries to hit the enemy from a safe position. That's why armor and shields and longrange weapons like a bow or a sniper rifle were developed. Strategy and tactics in all warfare strives to achieve a position where you can kill the enemy in perfect safety.

Heroic? My grandfather told me that when he went to the front in the winter of 1941/1942 the first task he faced was to pile frozen enemy carcasses to make a temporary winter road more durable. It was easier than felling trees as there had been an encirclement and the enemy had been pushed to a small area and then killed in piles. Probably those soldiers killed had very little ammunition or food when they were killed and they were probably killed mostly by artillery and mortar fire from a safe distance.

Heroism and war is a very difficult thing to define. I think it's easier to think of war as a basically insane slaughter that a society should avoid if at all possible. I don't play SH3 to feel brave or heroic. I like history, geometry and challenge and would probably desert at the first chance if I was to participate in real submarine warfare.

Interesting points of view anyways, guntherprien. I hope other people decide to share their views on this