View Single Post
Old 12-31-12, 11:52 AM   #4260
Billy Guile
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Casual intro story

Was shocked to see actual forums dedicated to this game(first silent hunters). played the first before the millenium. rediscovered and have been hooked once again. so, i suppose a story. cut out all the stuff to get to the fun part.

After evading a Destroyer and its desperate hunt of me in the harbor, I managed to sneak just off the main docks of the Hiroshima Naval Base. After sitting submerged for 18 hours for what seemed to be typhoon weather to leave, I was able to get a crystal clear image of the Battleship Yamato at berth. After arguing with myself for a few minutes, I decided to acquiesce and get out while I had the chance. I had made it a point to complete this photograph objective without disturbing anything other than the water being displaced around the vessel.

Slowly making the turns to head out in to the sea, the Destroyer from earlier had decided to show up again. I made it a point this time to stay in the shallows, away from the likely areas that a sub would be detected. This particular Japanese ship wasn't having it. Under silent running, I watched the sound contact close in. The first run immediately took out both torpedo launch capability. Without even the chance to fire a shot, I was now amputated. Decided to continue on the slow drag as I only had near 800 yards to deeper water under the keel. Agonizingly watching the contact begin his circle for another run, I went through the measures of deploying decoys, hoping it would buy me time. It didn't.

Counting down the seconds by how I had timed my entrance into open waters, I saw a glimmer of hope. I then received notification that the Destroyer was now doubling my speed and on a direct approach from 270 degrees, where we would meet up. Ordering the emergency dive, we began to skim the bottom of the ocean as it went downward. The ping rate was to the point, it drove me crazy enough to think blowing ballast and shooting out of the water to the surface was a good idea. Maybe a run 'n gun... Desperate.

Funny thing happened right then. The emergency surface rate of my tin can pointed my nose near 65-70 degrees. Suppose it had something to do with the sudden flank speed.

(Now, I like the outside camera. Just to look around and see the beautiful stuff this game can put out. Good thing, too... I turned it on)

What I see is a Destroyer, her guys dropping barrels off like a party for tea fanatics in 1773. I then see the front of the Destroyer suddenly lifting out of the water. My jaw on the ground, the crew alerting me that flooding was beginning, I watched my sub literally take the Destroyer out from underneath, and capsize it without a second thought. All I could think as she leveled out on the waterline is... How low where those depth charges set for...

Suffice it to say, limping back to Pearl was NOT a stress free experience. But the laugh of taking out a Destroyer without a single shot fired... heh.
Billy Guile is offline   Reply With Quote