View Single Post
Old 10-30-12, 05:58 AM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Tyrant,

one really has to differ between the platform type. On touchscreens and tablets and actually even smartphones, Metro actually might be functioning good. That is what this gesture stuff is being developed for, right?

But for the normal home PC, using a normal screen and mouse and keyboard, it is completely pointless, even more, it works ergonomically significantly worse than the pre-W8 design.

There might be internal security features that make W8 taking the lead over W7, I read about some memory safety features, I admit that was a bit too much techy as if I really understood that stuff in depth. But the features you listed as advantages, for me - and I assume for many others as well - are simply uninteresting. I do not care whether I can pause file transfers, or can have two such processes at the same time. That is nice to gain some points in an academical test, but the relevance for the ordinary PC handling of the ordinary home user - not to mention gamer - is close to zero.

Microsoft does not agree that it is customer-orientation when you design and sell products that customers want, but thinks it must force the customer to buy what MS thinks it SHOULD want. That is at the heart of the problem, and Microsoft wants it this way because as I explained earlier it wants to piush customers into stricter dependency from its now rising own appstore, like Apple does with its own customers since years, and Amazon does with its tablet, and Google.

Establishing the Microsoft appstore and training customers to accept being dependent of that like Apple users are only able to buy via appstore - this is the primary and imo even only real intention and mission objective of W8, that is why they ignored criticism of Metro during the Beta phase, and it explains why the Start button has gone, and the start menu, and why Microsoft tries hard to get people away from wanting the traditional, non-app-based Windows design, and go for Metro even on hardware where using metro makes no sense. Ergonomically and technically it makes no sense to install Metro on a non-touch-screen system. But Commercially, and financially, and long-term-strategically, it makes all sense you could desire! - IMO this is all one needs to know about W8. And since a PC software market no longer free for developers and modders and 2nd hand buyers ( mind you, all this campaigning against software pirates and for security is mostly done to dry out the second hand market) might be commercially lucrative for Microsoft, but is at the cost of customer interests, I hope that W8 fails miserably. Microsoft must suffer financially and so dearly that the pain makes it rethinking the plan and split the OS developement again - one in the Metro format for tablets, smartphones and touchscreen, one in the traditional Windows format.

Actually form the little I saw, for tablets Metro might be pretty good. But I do not want a tablet. And I totally hate appstore philosophies and the resulting dependency and the power that just one company has on future software design. The Game market already has suffered from consoles. Tailoring it even more towards a handful of standard schemes, will do even more damage, and things like niche games and simulations you can probably forget completely sooner or later.