View Single Post
Old 10-25-12, 07:00 PM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Metro surface is for tablets. For heaven'S sake, let's leave it to tablets, then. Like console menus rarely are comfortable on PC, they were designed for consoles, and on PCs they mostly are a pain. Using metro on a PC, with mouse and keyboard, is a compromise at best, and I read that Microsoft has deliberately deleted in past weeks any chance to have traditional Starting menu/button modded back into it, or having the traditional OS looks booting first. They want to force it onto you, you must learn to accept Metro, they want it so. The question is: why?

First, their new hardware strategy is meant to get some share from the pie that so far Google, Amazon ebooks, Applestore and such installation enjoy for themselves. They want it,l and the customer has to deliver it to them,. so their philosophy. This comes at a cost often ignored:

Second, I have no doubt that the new licensing system sooner or later will see them tightening the screws, and I think this is one of their major motivations for having designed this new system the way it is now. That means your software, love older games and simulation for example, maybe will not run anymore, for they are not bought via Microsoft's own appstore, and are not licensed. That is a perspective that is really worrying, for it also means that the quality of games is to drop.

What Microsoft does is effectively starting to implement the closed-universe business model by Apple'S appstore.

If you do not want that, you must hope that W8 will become a hurting financial disaster for them, because else they will succeed with their plan.

But there could be a benefit which already is to be seen by the fact that Steam - I still hate it - has started to develope foir Linux. They want to avoid getting caught and dried out ion the Microsoft trap. The developer of Minecraft has put down a demand by Microsoft that he should subscribe to get his program licensed for W8. Other studios and developers, I read, also have decided to leave W8 alone and not to follow Microsoft'S wish to get theirt products licensed by MS. They all said they want to develope stronger for Linux, and this could maybe - maybe - after all these many years mean a breakthrough fore Linux not just on servers and universities, but in the private PC sector as well, where it still is , let'S face it, an exception from the rule.

For the sake of future gaming and simulations, I hope that W8 blows up and explodes MS right into the face. Neal, go W7 x64. It's good, really. that tablets and gesture screens need a new OS philosophy, in principle is a non-brainer. But leave it to tablerts then, do niot mess up PC handling - it is tested and proven since 20 years. Why are there no cars with stick-control? Because steering wheels were found to work best.