View Single Post
Old 10-19-12, 12:44 AM   #92
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye T. Bai View Post
Episode was enjoyable. I liked the drama, especially the dialogue between the sailors, and the tensions between the SEALs. The standoff at the conn was nice too.

Next episode, the newly-minted SECDEF comes to the island to meet with SSBN-753's wardroom; with a full complement of Marines with him. Lookin' forward to that.
I agree. I liked this episode as well. In fact I noticed a change in some smaller things.. One big one that caught my attention was something the Captain said... What he said is true and how I personally feel..

I personally often remind people that when I joined the United States Navy I took an oath. What most people 'think'; what most TV shows or movies say; and what most Americans even those still serving do not realize is that the oath we took does not say anything about protecting or defending the government of this country nor even the presidency.

My oath that I took and still abide by now states that "I will protect and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against ALL enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC....". The show got this exactly right which is rare.

And in the show tonight, the Captain pointed that out very clearly. Sometimes in conversation I have commented about how I very much do not like the path our government is taking nor the underhanded laws and changes being passed eroding our constitutional rights. And invariably I get someone that says "yea but you took an oath in the military so you and every one else will do the governments bidding and we civilians won't have a chance..."

Not true. Myself and many of my friends included point out our oath and what it truly says and means. I WILL defend our way of life and our Constitutional rights. But I will be damned if I will do the same for a government that is not for the people, by the people and that removes the rights of the people.

And that is why I have also said were this Captain my Captain and the circumstances were this, I would stand with him 100% because in this scenario, fictitious as it is, he is RIGHT and doing exactly what any honorable military service member and or Veteran would do.

About the only thing I feel awkward about is saluting the U.S. Flag in civvies... still feels a bit weird..

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote