View Single Post
Old 10-07-12, 04:20 PM   #79
Malakie
Bosun

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Rockwell_Torry View Post
Well, all I can say is what are they doing to my Navy! I served from 71 to 75 and knew some of these people, including a few seals. I would suspect the seals in general would not apreciate the way they are being depicted in this nor most of the other rates on this boat. Andre Braurer should have told those clowns they better get their scuba gear, cause the're swimming home. I'm a big fan of Robert Patrick, even though I know he can play a real S.O.B. when its called for, After all he was screwing around with one of his own elistedmans wife in the Unit, but I expected him to be behind the Captain all the way no matter what. I never met a Chief in the Navy who would have ever done what he's doing in this show! I know this is all science fiction, but this is a bit much. Even Captain Kirk said "This is not a democracy mister", since the Captain is the "Captain" for a reason, so obviously who ever is doing the writing is a complete bafoon when it comes to military protocal. I grew up watching Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, and it was far better than this the first two seasons, until it became a monster of the week joke. This reminds me of Star Gate Universe, you could never find a character on the show that you could relate to because none of them had any redeeming qualities. And two Marines walking into a full Admiral's office and taking the phone away from him! I don't know, maybe it will get better, but the problem seems to me that people watching this show will really believe this crap goes on in the Navy, and that really bothers me. I guess this kind of stuff, is like scratching nails on a chalk board to me! Andre Brauer is a fine actor, as is Robert Patrick, I'm just surprised either one of them signed on for this. Anyway, that's just my 25 cents worth. I really would like to see the kind of shows I grew up watching like Combat and Twelve O'Clock High again that inspired rather than just tear down what this country stands for. Instead all we get is shows filled with so many inacuracies, about whats real, that they are a joke, which others think are the way it really is!

Regards:
Captain Rockwell Torry

I do agree with you 100% in everything you wrote. However I had to make the decision to follow the story vs pick it apart. We both know this type of situation is not possible from our experience. Accepting that up front was the hardest part for me. However I want to see what kind of story comes out of this.

All that being said, I do have hope though that at some point they hired or will hire someone that can give them some advice on military protocol, chain of command functions and the actual actions and reactions of a real Naval crew member.

The C.O.B. would never do what he did in this show UNLESS it turns out that this C.O.B. and the seals that came on board are part of the conspiracy and story taking place. A C.O.B. has no say, no right to question nor any control over what orders the Captain may or may not get or follow through on. His place is to handle the crew and crew issues not command decision authority.

In reality the only time a sailor can disobey is if the order is immoral or illegal under the U.C.M.J. or U.S. Constitution. And if they do so, they dam well better be prepared to explain themselves and accept the fallout from said action (or inaction).

So yes you are right in everything you said... but put all that aside and just watch the story. That is what I am doing and it has enough plot twists that I am intrigued enough to see where it all goes.

Malakie

United States Navy Service Connected Disabled Veteran.
"A nation that forgets its veterans will itself soon be forgotten", Abraham Lincoln.

Malakie is offline   Reply With Quote