View Single Post
Old 09-23-12, 07:02 AM   #4318
TheDuke233
Swabbie

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0
Default Jap Radar??

Recently in SHV, I was doing a photo recon of anchored enemy carriers in the Solomons...Snuck into shallow water camera range and alearted a Jap DD.. I had no option other than to shoot down the throat.. I fired a 3 torpedo spread and scored two hits, sending him to meet honorable ancestors..Got my recon photos and as I was doing a 180 for deeper water I heard another torpedo impact from the one that missed the DD...I thought I had hit the carrier as it was in the same direction I fired..Later in deeper water, I upped scope and observed smoke and flames on the horizon from the direction of the carriers...At 10K+ more yards and in deeper water I surfaced...Very soon thereafter I had an extreamly PO'ed Jap destroyer headed right at me, lobing shells while blazing and smoking away!! I had scored a very lucky hit with the missed torpedo on another DD I hadn't even seen!! ...Dropped down below the thermocline, went silent and snuck away...10K+ more yards and a distant blazing DD in the periscope rear, I surfaced again...Yeah...you guessed it...Here he comes right at me with a bone in his mouth...Back deep and quiet, coming to periscope depth to cross the gap and into the deep sea channel, I surfaced again at about 15K...Here he comes from out of sight range, still blazing and smoking but with a full head of steam...Enough is enough...This guy was going to chase me all the way back to Pearl Harbor...Another spread from my rear tubes and he went down...Prob a glitch in the software, but with a little imagination, it could have been a Jap DD with radar....Man, I love the sub sim games!!! Need to find some DVD's of the "Silent Service" TV program of the late 1950's early '60's...B&W film, but I never missed and episode...
TheDuke233 is offline   Reply With Quote