View Single Post
Old 08-23-12, 12:32 PM   #32
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
It was 1.4 when it was removed and I have no problems with SH4 phoning home to UBI or anywhere else using the SH4 D2D digital download or the D2D 1.5 U-Boats add-on.
No it doesn't phone home, just refuses to run if a prohibited process is found. Go to the Microsoft website and look for Process Explorer, a task manager replacement, having nothing whatever to do with defeating copy protection. After you install it and run it SH4 will refuse to run if you have the D2D download version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanker View Post
Furthermore, I don't use gu.exe that was for checking for updates to start the game, I use sh4.exe because I didn't want SH4 changing any files - especially if enabled with JSGME.
Whoa! Great catch there. That was a game update checker which was never used because there were no updates ever. But it did cause lots of CTDs and other problems with Silent Hunter 4. Ubi advised its bypass a long time ago and I'd completely forgotten about it.

So yes, never run GU.exe. Switch to directly running SH4.exe to prevent lots of problems.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote