View Single Post
Old 08-18-12, 04:57 AM   #8
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Herr_Rapp86 View Post
I've done some research on Germany's modern subs. They hydrogen powered ones. Dolphin, Gal, Types 209, 207, etc. I've researched a lot of world war II history. It's an important part of all the worlds history, not just America's you know. I know that we have a lot of heroes from the WWII era, and I couldn't help but wonder if Germany has their heroes from the great war. I mean, not all Germans were ardent Nazi murderers. Most of the research I have come up with are the U-Boat crews as the heroes. I think it would be a great honor to those sailors, whom over 75% of them are on eternal patrol, if Germany started coming up with sub classes in their honor. The Prien Class, Hardegen Class, Schultze Class, etc. That would be a neat tribute to those German heroes.
With due respect but you're missing the point completely.
Despite of all personal bravery by U-Boot men and Captains, there is still the fact that we were on the wrong side of the table.
It's also not about beeing a Nazi or not, it's about the fact of being part of a system which brought Terror and Devastation all over Europe.
Your error is just to see the personal bravery which surely was above the call of duty, nevertheless you should also see the reason why the U-Boots sunk Allied Merchant ships.
The second World War was a war for racial supremacy and a war started by a System which was one of the most horrific in Human History and like it or not the Kriegsmarine was part of that System.
It was not like here is the heroic Kriegsmarine and over there are the evil Nazis, the Kriegsmarine was also part of this system like every other Service Branch of the then German Armed Forces.
Whilst the U-Bootwaffe was not involved in the Holocaust, Land based Units were involved in the Holocaust specially at Ports in the Baltics and the Balkans.
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote