View Single Post
Old 07-30-12, 10:59 PM   #3987
Roger Dodger
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 74
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
So I started an S-boat career for a change of pace. Did a test dive with the S-42 class in a training mission. She popped at about 405 ft. Is this right? I thought the S-boat was only able to go to around 250 or 300 ft in this game? Is this by design for TMO? Historical? A problem with my mod?
No, your MOD is OK - you're just lucky getting as deep as 400 ft in a RIVETED S-Boat. Test depth on an S-Boat is only around 200' - CRUSH depth could be anything beyond 200'. Electric Boat only 'guaranteed' safe operations above the Test depth - exceed it at your peril.

200'/33 = 7 atmospheres of pressure @ 15 lbs/sq.in. = 105 lbs/in.ft.
400'/33 = 13 atm X 15 = 195 lbs/sq.in.

Figures are rounded off for clarity. One atm (air pressure) is added to the water pressure (ft./33) for correction. Thus, at 33 ft depth, you get 2 atmospheres of pressure, not one.

S-Boats (1918-1925), as mentioned, were all-rivet construction. The Electric Boat-built Porpoises (1933-1937) had been built to an all-welded design. Conservative engineers and shipfitters at the Government yards stuck with tried and true riveting. Electric Boat's method proved superior, providing a stronger and tighter boat, as well as preventing leakage of fuel oil tanks after depth charge attacks. Finally convinced of the efficacy of Electric Boat's innovation, Government yards finally converted wholesale to welding for their three Salmons and the Navy was entirely happy with the results.

God Bless Electric Boat!