View Single Post
Old 06-12-12, 06:11 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I could not let it rest, of course.

Reinstalled from zero on, just FSX and PMDG, nothing else, and no traffic whatever, easy on weather settings. I also cleaned the tower, ventilators, coolers. Finally I opened the tower and pout a big room ventilator to the side so that a flow of fresh air reaches the inside, no heavy stormwind, but a feelable breeze.

And Barcelona to Palermo wnt smooth in the PMDG737NGX! Core 1 had 61°C, core 2 58°C as maxim,um temps. GPU I don't know.

Installed airports sceneries, activated FSX's high quality 3D clouds again, but reduced weather density a bit. Munich to Amsterdam: fine! Even messing up the flightplan and doing the last quarter of the flight manually was tolerated (landing with 0.3 fuel reserves...) . Core 1 went to a max of 63°C, Core 2 58°C again.

I will skip on using GEX and UTEX, since I do high altitude IFR almost exclusively now, so why stressing the system with things I do not see anyway. But I have installed REX2 with 1024er clouds, just skysets and clouds, as replacement textures, and I will see tomorrow how it works on a flight from Zurich to Vienna.

If it breaks, then most likely it is REX. If it works, it most likely was a temperature problem. That heat could again become a problem with a new system that has not given me any performance problems and heat problems since one year (i5 2500 @ 3.3), did not come to my mind.

Running the tower closed for all purposes again, only for FSX I will now open it and have that ventilator ready. I am hesitent to buy a better CPU cooler since I do not know if the CPU heat or the GPU heat is the critical thing here.